My husband and I's one year anniversary is coming up in 2 months! I cannot believe how quickly our first year flew by! Looking back I was so excited to have my husband experience family traditions that I had grown up loving. There are so many more as well by these are my top 5!
1) Sunday Lunches - My family growing up always has been a huge pasta clan. This being a big influence, my father's post church meal craving is always spaghetti with juicy meatballs drenched in gooey cheese. Marcus enjoys eating, so this tradition he took to with no problem. The only thing he found a little bit odd was our choice of beverage that we paired our meal with. Apparently Milk and spaghetti is not common to most people...
2) Fourth of July - Most of my favorite traditions have something to do with holidays and starting us off is the Fourth of July.This was the first year I took Marcus on a relaxing day on my dad's boat. At the end of the day, we were cuddled up together, rocking with the waves, and enjoying the evening with the only lights being the fireworks breaking in the night sky. Marcus really enjoyed being laid back all day on the St. Croix.
3) Christmas - Another Holiday, the whole christmas season has always made me nostalgic. It reached its peak in college, when christmas music started playing from my laptop as early as October. Marcus is a firm believer that no christmas music should be played before Black Friday. We are still working out our difference on this particular issue. This family tradition was the one Marcus and I did not fully see eye to eye on. He grew up opening presents on Christmas Day; I grew up opening presents on Christmas Eve. We compromised with Team Waits opening gifts on Christmas Eve, and our new family, Team Sanchez, opening gifts Christmas morning. With two days of opening presents I had to admit, it was a win win.
4) Candyland - As a St. Paul native, my father would take us to Candyland almost after ever downtown YMCA visit. Although it was a little counter productive, it was something me and my siblings always looked forward to. I have really enjoyed sharing this tradition with my husband, when we will go on dates downtown. We still remained like kids in the candy store every time we go. Our Candy go-to's - Black and Red Raspberries for me and Chocolate Turtles for him. If you have not been, this is a Minnesota Must!
5) Como Conservatory - This by far is my favorite tradition that I shared with my husband. Every year my family would venture over to Como Zoo and Conservatory. Some days it was because it was too cold to do anything outside and others was just to help us get out of the house on a lazy Sunday. As a family we enjoyed walking through and basking in the plant life and flowers they have there. Marcus and I both enjoy these strolls through the conservatory. And it will always be special to us, because that it where we became husband and wife. <3
Honorable Mention : Minnesota State Fair! - this is such a fun date with my husband. We grabbed a disposable camera and took pictures all day and ate a lot of food! Food favorites: Me - Apple Cider Freezy (Agricultural Building) Hubby: Sweet Martha's Cookies.
What are traditions you guys love to share with your partner??